MINUTES OF THE APRIL 19, 2012 MEETING – LONGWOOD PUBLIC LIBRARY
Those who signed in: Jack Stinton, Gail Lynch-Bailey, Frank Bailey, Al Schick, Michelle Fulmer, Marie Farbizio, Harold Bachmann, Barbara Shirreffs, Michael J. Lupinacci III, Betty Mahan, Margaret Malloy, Fred Steinmann, Irene Steinmann, Rich Kollar, Robert Schlagel, James Goddard
I. Meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. and the Pledge of Allegiances was recited
II. Reading of the Minutes of the March 15, 2012 meeting were read and approved
III. Treasurer’s Report – As of 3/31/12 – Savings – $2,714.38 – Checking – $275.24
IV. Correspondence – Letter from Longwood High School – Longwood Senior Award ceremony June 5, 2012 (Award from MICA for scholarship to 2 graduating seniors
V. Reports of Committees and Officers – Nominating Committee Chair Jack Stinton announced candidates for board, explained that incumbent 2ndVP still needs to be contacted.
ANNUAL ELECTION: President: Tom Talbot; 1st VP: Gail Lynch-Bailey; Treasurer: Larry Mazza; Membership Secretary; Margaret Malloy; Recording Sec: Barbara Shirreffs . Two officers expressed interest in “moving up” if 2nd VP slot remains available.
New business cards, forms and literature racks displayed, to be placed throughout community.
- Updates: Toyota, Artist Lake Plaza, Sandy Hills, Whiskey Rd. Roundabout
- Bartlett Pond Park: delay at PBC meeting 3/21, Gail displayed new revised plan passed 4/18, dedication planning ongoing
- Longwood Library: architect presentation 3/21/12; budget passed 4/3, Trustee Soscia re-elected
- Earth Week Summit at Brookhaven Nat’l lab on 4/17 – several MICA attendees
- TOB Litter Clean Up – 4/21, 10:00 a.m. – MICA location east of last year, sign-up sheet for anyone interested
- Elected Officials Forum @Birchwood – 4/25/, 7:00 p.m. – Ira Seigel coordinating – MICAns welcome
- Longwood Day – 5/12 9-4 Longwood High School – sign up sheet
- Recent Wildfires
- Traffic & Safety – fatal accident on William Floyd Pkwy, pedestrian death on MCR
- Troop 433 Eagle Court of Honor 5/6 @ 1:00 p.m. at Middle Island Fire Dept.
- Longwood School Budget Vote – Tuesday 5/15 7a.m.-9p.m. MICAns vote at WMI Elementary School
- Relay-4-Life event scheduled for 5/19 – our area rep Michelle Fulmer explained the event that raises cancer funds and features survivors and relay sponsors along with “painting the town purple” for cancer awareness
Informal Discussion/Guest Speaker – Fred Drewes – Heritage Trust Volunteer of the Year! Fred detailed Mt Sinai’s Heritage Park, showing its progress & projects through the years
Next Meeting: May 17, 2012 – guest speaker suggestions welcome!
Respectfully submitted: Barbara Shirreffs, Rec/Corr. Secy