MICA Meeting MINUTES – December 20, 2012
ATTENDANCE: Tom Talbot, Judy Talbot, Larry Mazza, Margaret Malloy, Barbara Shirreffs, Gail Lynch-Bailey, Frank Bailey, Al Schick, Fred Steinmann, Irene Steinmann, Jack Stinton, Dan Tomaszewski, Annette Mannino, Kevin Calderone, Ray Sexton, Roberta Schlegel, Chris Hanley, Connie Kepert, Robyn Fellrath
1. The meeting was Called to Order at 7:07pm and the Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
2. Reading of Minutes –approved as written
3. Treasurer’s Report: thru 11/30/12 – $2216.64 in Savings; $115.40 in Checking
4. Correspondence – “Thank You” from Blessings R Us & St. Cuthbert’s food pantries
5. Reports of Committees & Officers
6. Unfinished Business
- Bartlett Pond Park: Tree lighting plans for 2013; community garden committee meeting in 2013; Ray Sexton will provide a wreath at Korean monument, asked about lighting historic schoolhouse
- Rails-to-Trails meeting 11/28 – L. Mazza discussed RP residents opposition, gave example of good experience at Setauket; multi-phase plan may help; hate to lose funding; S. Anker follow up meeting
- Food Drive recap – fabulous response at King Kullen, two vans worth donated locally
- MICA Holiday donations to local charities: thanks to M. Malloy, Betsy Martinez, Robert Schelgel & all who donated; new thrift shop owners donated gift certificate
- Much work re Hurricane Sandy – meet weekends at St Andrew’s, 250 Neighborhood Rd, Mastic Beach
- Longwood Road “Adopt-a-Highway” status – Tom will see if Just Kids is still active at that site
- Please “Like” MICA on Facebook – goal of 30 likes has finally been achieved!
- MIFD Commissioner Election – MICAns served as election officials; will donate fees to MICA
- Please continue to clip Box Tops for Education & Campbells Soup labels for donation to WMI PTA
7. New Business
- Car Storage at former Lustgarten site – STOPPED! Tip from Mike Nied led to full investigation by TOB
- Litter across Rte 25 from King Kullen – removed after call by Tom; still want bus stop stop bench there
- Graffiti on no-gas gas station – also removed after call by Tom – a Christmas miracle?
- Veterans Place in Yaphank Open House & Holiday Party – Fri, 12/21, 2:30-5:30pm
- MICA testified at Next Generation Housing hearing – ideal for MCR/ Kogel site; Dan T suggestion that a YMCA would be ideal for Kogel site – need info from Patchogue village
- TOB Public Hearings Extended to Jan 22 for code amendments; info session on 1/7, 2pm at Town Hall
- Highway Superintendent Election in March 2013 – candidates TBA
8. Special Presentation/Guest Speaker – Town Councilwoman Connie Kepert – Connie spoke on a wide range of topics including: progress at Kmart, Toyota expansion/PC Richards closing, Redistricting, Artist Lake invasives remediation, single family housing near Twin Ponds, Next Generation housing code, Carmans River Overlay District and watershed protection, new walking trail, irrigation and community garden at Bartlett Pond Park
9. The meeting was Adjourned at 9:00 pm.